oldschool

Agenda 14, October 2009
1. Look for work
2. Look again
3. Make more coffee
4. Check email
5. Repeat

Something like that anyway. I've found a program for graduate school that I think would really suit me well. The program is at the University of Groningen and is a two year, research masters program in organization, production and economics. Application deadline is 1 January, time to get going.

I've come down with some sort of cold/flu. I'm not saying it is the N1H1 but the degree to which the back of my throat hurts as compared to previous experiences with flu's is highly suggestive to a disease I've never had before. I was performing a little research last night and found the name of the flu "H1N1" is derived from the type and number of proteins found in the virus. Now, I'm not saying I have the so called "swine flu" but my throat is a wreck. I was coughing so hard last night I thought I was going to throw up. At one point breathing was as if someone was passing a piece of sandpaper over the back of my throat with each breath. I finally acted on a small oldschool remedy my mom suggested. I never thought I'd be pouring a stiff drink because of a suggestion from my mom. I sipped on a some brandy and to my surprise quickly found myself relieved from the previous state of agony.

I'm dog sitting for some friends of mine and also performing some yard work around the house. The leaves are beginning to fall more rapidly thought not so much as previous years. I'm a little out of tune as to why but this fall appears to be approaching with a subtle nature. That is if "fall" can even have a "nature" given it is already part of the whole grand scheme of things.

I am not motivated by the success of others nor am I motivated by reading lists of accomplishments completed by great individuals. It brings me little joy to read stories of old wise tales told over rustic wooden fires. The peace of mind granted to myself through studying the lecture of a great philosopher has little relevance to my social life and shall never form the basis of comprehending my environment. I am motivated by my own calling to reach farther than I think I can. Do perform to my very best when no one is watching. I will proudly fail alone as I would in the company of others. So read the stories of great individuals, enjoy a script by a philosopher, and consider an old wise tale next time you gun for success. Because even without their words you still can still rely on your own.




Comments

  1. in your influenza research did you discover that it is actually called "H1N1" ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did! I actually just typed it wrong in my blog post. I'll fix it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment