a day in the week

Goeie dag!

I'm never one to write about what I do everyday. Mostly because I don't think I'm very good at talking about myself. It is like hearing your own voice on the radio or seeing yourself in a video clip. Some people just don't like how they look or sound, but I'm up for the challenge, so here goes:

The next day for me usually starts the evening beforehand. I'm checking the weather, making sure my bike is prepped, I have anything I need for work set aside, and most importantly double checking my espresso machine and making sure it has enough water for the morning. This all usually goes on around 10:30pm the night before. I should probably throw in there checking my email and studying some Dutch. I also try to expand my music collection as frequently as possible.

In bed by 11 (most of the time) and ready to rock by six o'clock the next day. Ok, lets be honest, I'm not a get out a bed, ball full of energy, kind of person. I'm quiet, a little slow moving, and slightly clumsy. I started a new training plan last Thursday (4/june) and it is progressing nicely so far. In the morning I'm on the bike by 6:30am and either out the door or on an indoor trainer for a 2 to 2 1/2 hour ride before work. I do munch on some food, usually some bread and soft cheese, a double espresso and some water. I don't eat too much as my riding pace is such that the body is able to keep up with energy demands by simply breaking down fats and using the food I've eaten. Fruit is also nice to have in the morning but I don't always have some around (I should though). There are a few training routes I have but I tend to stick to the same one despite the obvious problem of boredom. MA drivers tend to keep things lively enough so the same route is never dull, unfortunately. Home by 9am, a little more food to refuel, shower, and then legs elevated for at least 10 minutes. During which time I like to close my eyes and get a quick rest. Maybe time for another small coffee, water, more water, and some email action. I like to be dressed for work and out to the bus stop by 10am for my commute to work. I'll take the bus to from Brighton to Kenmore and I usually walk from Kenmore to Copley. I despise the green line. If its 11 o'clock I'm at work (or on my way, sorry!). I eat periodically during the day, ever few hours, a small amount of food and lots of water.

By 7pm I'm leaving work and making the trek home. I'm usually home by 8pm and back on the bike 8:30pm. I use my indoor trainer, put on some music and ride for another 2 hours. Then its time for some more food, legs up, and then a shower. I usually use a french rolling pin for a self-massage on my legs before I go to sleep. I'll also take care of preparing anything I may need for tomorrow, checking the weather, email, some quick news and some more Dutch. Then its off to bed for tomorrow, because tomorrow I'll be doing it all over again. About four hours a day Tuesday through Friday.

What about Saturday and Sunday? Glad someone asked! Saturday and Sunday are generally 4 1/2 to 5 hour rides. I sleep in on the weekends though and try and start around 9 or 10. I also usually ride with friends on the weekend so its a great time to catch up and relax. I also like to prepare my own food for the rides (rather than eating energy food you buy at the store). I make rice cakes, small croissant sandwiches, and potatoes. After my rides on the weekend I take longer naps of about 30 to 45 minutes, it helps speed recovery, and it's much needed if I plan on visiting with friend in the evening. I don't normally drink alcohol, hardly any in fact. I enjoy a coke and lots of water.

Only one day left in the week and it is Monday! Monday is a recovery day and I ride from my house in Brighton over to the bike path and ride for about 45 mins to an hour. Nice and easy, breath through the nose, relax the legs, look at the water, and return home. Tomorrow is Tuesday and now you know how that starts :)

For those of you doing the math its generally between 23 to 27 hours a week of cycling :)

A day in the week of Brandon

Comments

  1. Wow! Brandon, I admire your determination and hard work. Je pense tu es super cool:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment