rain, flat tires, and a vanilla milkshake, part duex

and continued it is...

We were back on the road and approaching the town of Waterford, CT when suddenly the left front wheel made a funny noise. I wasn't sure if it was the road, the music, or my imagination playing tricks on me. A few seconds later the faint noise I heard had shown itself the form of a flat tire. Sitting under an overpass, watching the waterfall of water pour of the bridge, it was already time to suck it and up and do what needed to be done. I found a jack but it was too small, I couldn't find the wrench for the lug nuts, and the spare was stuck and needed to be cut out. I went in search of tools and at my first house I was greeted by an old lady and her pitbull. Off to house number two which was already looking more promising with two Ford trucks sitting in the driveway, I thought for sure I had hit a home run. After a knock on the door I and a quick explanation I was found with "no" number two. I'm sure the pouring down rain didn't help my appearance. I did find the location of the nearest Mobile 1 and off I went. I called my sister to tell her I was off to the Mobile, about a mile away, and I'd be back to the truck soon.

This brings me to the first workout I had in a few days. Seventeen minutes later I returned to the truck with two cans of fix-a-flat, filled up the tire, topped it off with my bike pump and drove about a three miles to the next overpass. The tire was toast, the sidewall destroyed, and it was time to call the local authorities. I was hoping they would have some tools, I could change the tire and be back on the road. No tools, but it was great to have Mike, the state trooper, with us for the thirty or so minutes. He called a tow truck and within the hour a tow truck arrived and we were back on the road. I never realized how uncomfortable the side of a highway was until I was sitting there, in the dark, and listening to the rain.

We were back on the road for an hour when we both agreed it was time for a little comfort food. My shorts were black with road grim, as were my hands, I was soaked, my shoes were still wet from my run in the rain earlier and I was hungry. We stopped at Route 84 Diner and we enjoyed two cheeseburgers, an shared an eclair, and a milkshake. Again, back on the road, and a few hours later around 3am we arrived in Williamsport. Wow.

Comments