33rd of 70!

First, Happy 4ht of July (I almost forgot!)

My first race, I think, was a success. My teammate (Nico) and I rode well and we represented Herbalifes in every breakaway attempt and eventually in the one that succeeded with Nico. The roads were narrow and the speeds were pretty fast and not speaking hardly a word in Flemish contributed greatly to me not having a clue. Good thing is biking racing language is pretty universal though.

The day started off fantastic, I meet with Nico at 10am to go for an hour spin before the race. We returned home, washed the bikes and then ate some pasta. Packing the car with our bikes, filling up the bidons (water bottles) and a few items of food we were off to the race. First I must say it was a festival! There were people sitting at the cafes, the old guys were along the fences drinking and probably places small wages on us :) There was a sort of mini carnival going on and music playing in the loud speakers. The scene was exciting and having everyone around to watch was awesome! Not like in the US where there are a few spectators and the rest of the people are bike racers and officials.

We had our bikes unloaded and ready to go for our warm up ride. I had changed in the back seat of the car and it was so hot I could barley get my shorts on as they were sticking to me in every which way possible. Finally we are about to go for a quick spin when I applied my front break and hear a "pop." The front cable on my bike had broke but in a weird manner. Without getting into the description of the unique manufacturing techniques for Shimano Ultegra integrated shift/brake levers lets just say it needed fixing. I had no tools with me and so it was off to the race officials to try and find some help. The race officials pointed us towards a green bus and off we went to try and fix my bike. We first approached the bus and was greeted by an older gentleman with a beer, who then asked for someone else, who then asked for someone else, and finally we had some tools and funky scenario going on. Suddenly they were all working to fix my bike, chatting away with ideas, and me just trying to be cool and calm before my first race. Eventually we fixed it, rode around the block, and came back to the start line to begin the race.

I made the decision to attack or at least try every chance I had. Rather than sit in the peleton and just conserve energy I went for it. The cool part was so did everyone else! Attack after attack, small groups going away, getting pulled back by the bunch which easily clocked over 50km/h at times. Then another bunch would try and go, the another, and I was just having fun! The riding suited my racing style perfect and it was so fast. Trying sticking your head out the window of a car, squinting your eyes really tight and drive as fast as you can. That is what it was like the first lap or two. Then I relaxed, opened my eyes and bit and found myself with a teammate in the breakaway, so now it was my job to stay in the wheels and mark any attacks. Which I did and not everyone was happy about it, eh. O well I thought, I'm not helping to chase down my own team mate and so I just rode quietly and followed the wheels. However at one point they asked me to pull through and as I did I really dug into the pedals and found myself alone, chasing the breakaway in an attempt to bridge the gap. I'm not sure I could have made it all the way but I had them in sight. The next lap I checked the number left and it was still 4 to go! So I just relaxed and rode with the bunch which were cruising along around 42 to 45 km/h.

Nico stayed in the break and finished around 17th and I came a bit later around 33rd. Not bad for the first race, I think anway.

After the race we had a seat with family and just enjoyed the atmosphere for a few minutes. Then it was off to house and time for dinner. Which I was going to get to enjoy with another friend's family. We had mussels and fritjes and dinner was delightful! For dessert we had luscious strawberries!



















Ok, off for a shower, then its bed. Tomorrow we are going racing again!! YAHOO!!!

Comments

  1. Yea! Go Brandon go! I got on my bike for the first time since my surgery for my commute to work. Next week I start rowing again...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment