Ternat Kermiskoersen, 12th!

Wow,

Finally a decent result. Perhaps not a good as I could have done given that at one point in the race I counted eight of us in the break and was already mentally thinking "the worst I will finish is 8th, I'm happy right here." After another lap I quickly realized my mistake. It was back to thinking about winning again but it was too late. No worries.

The course was tough. A total of 62km with nasty corners, uphills, and a lot of wind. Something like 44 or so started and only 25 or so finished. So a bit on the small side of a race but a tough one. Nico and I were first to the start line as after the start there was a soft right hand turn that immediately turned uphill. There was no way we were going to get stuck at the back and miss any of the action up front. Not to mention the corners were nasty! It would go from narrow, narrow, cement roads through fields into old cobblestones through the apex of the turn and then back to cement. I think the cobblestones were still there from the Romans because they had sank below the cement and there was now a 3 or 4cm ledge between the cement and the pave. I was super happy with the race though. I thought I rode well and maintained a nice position in the bunch without trying to hard. I did however almost miss the winning breakaway. I was keeping an eye on the breakway which was slowly starting to get away when the rider with the number "1" attacked to join the break. The number 1 is reserved for the current champion in the series, so if I go with him our chances of success are much better. The only trouble was I decided to go a bit too late. I saw him start to ride and I hesitated for a few seconds thinking another rider would also follow. The gap was at least 40 seconds and it was really windy so if there are only two of us and the guy in front of me cracks, I'm left to do all the work. I didn't want to work too much. Needless to say nobody else followed and so on one of the steeper sections I jumped from the peleton like it was a sprint for the finish. If I was going to the breakaway I wasn't taking anyone with me. My immediate acceleration had worked and I was alone chasing to the breakway, however I was quickly finding myself at the edge. The combination of uphill and wind was killing me. I was literlly 30 meters from the breakaway and mentally was about the watch them continue riding away. Cycling is a funny sport. Take man and machine and the ability to go somewhere and along the way the combination finds a natural limit. The limit is pretty easy to find and has a few identifiable factors. First your position on the bike begins to get a little skew. I find myself pulling myself forward on the seat and often my shoulders will start to get real low. I can suffer in the drops but I prefer the "pilot" grip on the hoods (those black things with the levers on them). As the pain in legs starts to increase its usually not a match for the potential scorching my lungs and throat feel. I look as though I've been placed by accident and its a sheer miracle that I'm going forward. I can feel each leg rise and the tension at which my brain is asking each muscle to contract so that it propels me closer to the breakaway group. Looking down I first glance at the ground to make sure I'm still moving and second I look to my rear cassette to see what gear I'm in. I don't why it matters, I'm suffering, I couldn't pull a harder gear if I tried. So I add another gear and my legs almost lock up. So again I look back and watch the chain slide closer to the hub and I ressume my pervious efforts. I have foam in my mouth and its making my breathing difficult so rather than just spit like a normal human being I find myself and my covered with saliva. I blow my nose in the same fashion. I think I need to drink so I grap my bidon. I can hardly breath let alone swallow water so it goes everywhere. All down my face, my bike, my legs and nothing in my mouth. Suddenly my brain comes to and I sit up. I don't slow down though. I put my hands on the bars so I can breath better, I need oxygen in my lungs. I slide back on the seat to generate more power and pick my head up. The break isn't far ahead and a quick turn and I don't see anyone chasing. I take a few deep breaths, monitor my effort on the remaining hill section and the moment the road turns flat I easily close the gap. When its flat that is my thing. I'm at the back of the group now, happy I made the break but questioning my ability to stay here. I just went through hell to get here. I regain my composure, wipe the drool of my face and sit up on the bike and take a few more deep breaths. In the matter of minutes I'm feeling solid. My efforts of the previous moments are gone and my mind is pleasantly numb ready to go again if need be. With a total of 9 laps and only 3 completed at this point it was time to encourage the break to start working together. So without hesitation I start making a circular motion with my hand and taking pulls as needed. If we don't work together its going to be a long race.The break worked together for a bit but not consistently there were some stronger riders and guys who were lucky enough to make the break so it what was easy for some was difficult for others.

Cornering is essential in racing in Belgium and the difference between sprinting out of each corner to close a gap and just sitting in the wheels is the difference between touching your brakes even for a second and just riding through the corner. The picture left shows the difference between "cornering" and those how are constantly "trying to turn." I'm cool and collected in the break. Just waiting for the right moment. Which I would again not recognize until it was too late. A small group of two or three escaped with two laps to go and two or more joined our group. So now I was looking at top 15 or 16 if I didn't ride a little smarter. Thankfully I was easily able to match a few accelerations later in the race and keep a decent finishing place. For my efforts I was rewarded with 7 euro! My first paycheck in Belgium!

I was content with my performance and like a true Belgian we went to the carnival afterwords and ate frietjes with a beer for dinner. Belgium is also starting to feel more and more "normal." I know where I'm going, the sights and sounds are familiar and I feel comfortable. Well comfortable enough to do the basic things like shop and order meal. Still not confident enough to chat with the ladies but its the same as the US. At least I'm consistent.

Ok tonight its off to Criterium Aalst. Which is a local race for the Tour riders to come and show off a bit. I heard not many big names will be there so it will not be quite the draw as usual but it should be fun. Until next time! Salut!

Comments

  1. Sick post man! The pave sounds like a bitch, and I hear most of these guys have been racing since they were nine, so props on the 12th place finish.

    I'm getting so pumped for racing in Italy I can barely concentrate on anything else, so reading your race/battle stories is awesome. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment