95rpm x (60m x 3h) =

17, 100

That's a big number and if basic math assumes that today I maintained an average cadence of around 95 revolutions per minute and I rode for 180 minutes it is the number of times my legs went around in circles. Circles. The basic shape we learn as children means all the difference in cycling. It is a motion humans are not intrinsically efficient at performing. Through training muscular imbalances are corrected, muscle memory is improved, and cardiovascular capacity is increased. Needless to say I was happy to finally be working on those aspects of training after what seems like a week of no cycling. I had a great 3 hour ride today. All flat roads along the Denderpad out to stad Dendermonde. Smells like Teen Spirit. Sorry I have my iTunes on shuffle and that is the name of the current song. Before that is was Girsl,Girls,Girls by Motley Crue.

I also had the pleasure of getting another puncture today. This time the front wheel. Right near the valve stem. No problem though, I always carry a spare. Note to self: don't carry spare tubes with holes in them. I called for a ride home and thankfully was only a few km from the house. Still it is quite annoying. Speaking of annoying, my seat-post creaks. I'm sick of it and I've tried all kinds of stuff to try and resolve the issue. Next move; New bike. I also lost my cycling computer. My computer is normally mounted on the stem (the dingey that connects the handlebars to the steerer) but I looked down the other day and it was gone. Ik heb geen idee. I think it just popped off one day and I never noticed. So much for thinking I was detail kind of guy.

I had some pasta with pesto sauce for dinner. My host mom tried the pesto sauce and didn't like it so she made Croque Monsiers. Which are super easy to make if you've never made them before. Simply bread with ham and cheese toasted in a frying pan. Maybe lightly butter the outside of the bread so it browns nicley in the pan. We used ham and Gouda cheese. To finish eat it with a knife and fork and with ketchup. Heinze ketchup of course. I wasn't going to eat much more but she offered and naturally I said yes. No worries friends and family, I'm not starving here!

As I write this it is 9:02pm. Think about this for a moment. What if time as we currently know it wasn't defined by a number. We only knew morning, afternoon, evening, and night. Conversations could be so much interesting and descriptive. Instead of saying I rode for three hours today I could write "today I left house just as the day was at its warmest. The sun was meters above the horizon and the bike path was bright and sunny. When I returned certain parts of the bike path were cool and shady as the shadows of trees began to grow into the river." Every moment throughout the day would be associated with aspect of the day. Maybe it is already? I don't know, just a thought. Which reminds me of another quote "that is the problem with wine; it makes people mistake words for thoughts." I don't know who said that though.

Comments

  1. Brandon, I hope you are feeling better - take your medicine young man or I will have to come over and make you take it. LOL I miss you awfully. You are having an adventure of a lifetime - enjoy it and be careful. Love Donna

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment