Culinary Lesson Number One, Mosselen en Frietjes


The national dish of Belgium; Mosselen and Frietjes. Don't forget the mayo either. I would know, I think I've put on some weight in the last week alone and it is all Belgium's fault. Well not really, I'm usually not that into sweet feed but for some reason I can't get enough of the sweeter side of life. I think between Speculous, frietjes, and a few other tasty treats I've managed to accumulate enough calories for at least two races. Not a good thing.










I had the opportunity to learn how to make one of the national dishes in Belgium. I would describe it as simple, fresh, and pleasantly balanced. Fresh potatoes diced up by hand using a mandolin, fried not once, but twice until a firm outer layer takes shape and gives way to a warm and soft interior. Mussels that are from a few hundred kilometers away, washed several times, and cooked with nothing but freshly picked out of the garden lavas, diced onions, and a what might appear to be incorrect amount of pepper. After creating two layers of mussels separated by a handful of lavas and diced onion, topped generously with ground pepper and given high heat on a stovetop for around 7-10 minutes the end result is simple, fresh, and flavourful meal. As the cooking begins with the mussels don't hesitate to add a glass of white/rose wine.

As the mussels are approaching their finishing point the frietjes need some more attention. The first cooking sequence should have already been completed. Fresh potatoes, cut evenly with a mandolin, and fried until a slight colour change is noticed. I've also been told that is important to keep the fries moving and shaking the bin in an attempt to agitate some air into the mix can really improve results. Once the first step is complete with all the fries its time for a quick second deep fry session as to warm and lightly brown the fries. They are ready for serving with the mussels. Top as you will preferably some mayo and a little salt.

I also had the opportunity to visit Brewery Girardin. Started in 1845! They are famous for the Kriek beer (cherry) and gueuze. Not sweet and a little bit bitter but with a cherry flavour. It is a beer you can drink not feel like you are sipping cola. Most Krieks tend to be a bit sweeter and contain a little more fermentation.

I also found a recipe for Speculoos (to which I'm sure I will dedicate a whole article about) but in the mean time here is a little insight into the this unique kookje (cookie).










Comments