Fundraising 101

Dag!

Last night was a perfect way to study how to throw a fund raising event. It was actually quite simple, involves beer, and a big market square to setup an open air cinema stage. Sounds easy enough! In fact the more difficult thing to do right now is type on my laptop. It is nearly 31 degrees here! My forearms and plams are stuck to the surface of my desk and computer. Not a pleasant way to compose a new post. Don't worry though, I'm going to push through to bring you best live coverage of my life possible. Even if you read it some six hours later and after I've already gone to bed.

My friend Nico and I arrived to already find the white tents with the beer tap setup. Our next mission of converting this town square into a "bioscoop" was to arrange some tables and chairs for our guests. After the tow trucks came and removed two autos from the parking lot our work could commence. In fact to the picture left the red/yellow trucks are just starting the removel process. Much to the dismay of the family who later arrived to lay claim to an empty parking space. It pays to read a bit eh?

We setup three front rows for the diehard movie fans and the remainder of the parking lot was filled with tables. I don't understand the idea behind it but rather than purchasing a drink with money, first a person buys "bonnetjes" which are small drink tickets. Three tickets gets you a cola or a pils, five gets you a Vedett and six tickets gets you a Duvel. Perhaps the reason is simplier and more logical than I'm thinking. Whatever the reason though it worked nicely. We had a professional staff of beer tap operaters and "beers in a bottle that need poured perfectly" people. It was a also a nice lesson in Dutch because I don't recall very much English being spoken. Which was fine with me. I'm a point where I can understand the basic meaning of a sentence so it is not really a problem. I even found myself taking quite a bit of drink orders which I enjoyed. Having worked in a restaurant I was quickly finding myself in the "server" zone. Where orders are coming in, beers are requested, tickets are counted, beers are delivered to the customer with a nice "alstublieft" and voila! Transaction complete and off to the next order. We did have one problem with the beer tap but it was quickly resolved.

We watched Star Wars. I don't remember what episode though but it was the one where they blew up the big moon shaped ship and Darth Vader goes tubiling into space. Which I think would be a funnier scene if he was trying to eat frietjes and tumbling into the great black unknown. That is just my take though. Whenever I watch a film in English there are almost always Dutch subtitles on it. Not that it would make a difference though because even if they were French or Spanish or even Japanese I somehow always find myself reading them (or watching if they are Japanese). I had a great time though and enjoyed working with everyone. I think the Herbalife team should throw a fund raiser party...(or just a party)


Pils anyone? While cycling along and finding yourself with a bit more thirst than your bidons can offer there is no easier way to snag a cola than with a vending machine. However if you are not in the mood for a cola you could also buy a pils.

Well it is off for some fun interval workouts tonight. This weekend is the Elite race in Meerbeke (where I live) so I'm hoping to be fit enough to finish! Have to represent the local colours!

On a side note. I'm trying to think of a better name for my blog. Any ideas?

Merci!

Comments

  1. Brandon,

    The ticketing system is actually a not so subtle way to make money. You buy drink tickets or tokens. You have to estimate how much you and your friends are going to drink so you buy 10 or 20 tokens.

    You put them in your pocket and of course you start ordering drinks with them. After you finish those 10 , you order another 10. You're not queuing up for just 1 token.

    But sometimes you overrate your drinking ability and you have had it after 6 or 7 drinks. What to do with the tokens ? You put them in your pocket.

    The tokens you don't use are pure profit for the organisation. You spent money on drinks they don't have to provide which equals profit. I always end up handing out tokens to people at the party because i bought too many.


    Of course if as an organisation you are being super cheap and use generic tokens or tickets , well , that can come back to bite you in the ass.

    I once went out with a guy that was in the catering business and his company provided tokens to event organizers. The event organizer of the event we were at did not buy his tickets from my friend. So we just brought the same tickets and had ourselves a free party. Deontologically correct , no. Fun , yes !
    Good times !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment