What do turtles and sign up for Dutch class have in common?

Their speed. Or lack of it for that matter. I spent all morning paying and trying to purchase a book for my Dutch classes that start on September 1e. The class was sixty euro, no problem. The book however was thirteen euro and went I went to pay nobody had any change. I had to pay with exchange change. They expected everyone to have exact change for the book. Crazy. What could have taken thirty minutes in the U.S. took an unimaginable two hours here. Needless to say I was already annoyed and very frustrated. Should I add to it that my whole class speaks French and nothing else. Something tells me I'm going to be learning French and Dutch, super. Perhaps an advantage but seriously, Wallonia get it together! You live in Belgium for crying out loud! Man, o man, o man, o man!

I ended up getting tired of waiting around to buy the book and decided my time was best served by going home and packing for my little trip to Denmark. I'll be flying out of Brussels tonight and returning Friday evening. I can't help but complain though about this morning. It is not that people are rude and don't care. They really just take their time and do everything little by little. There were two secretaries taking payment and in the middle one of them just stops. I think she decided to go for a walk or something, I have no idea. I sound like the typical American. I can't wait five minutes for anything. Really, I'm much more relaxed than that but I do have a certain side of realizing when their is a disconnect between production and potential. Since all the French speaking persons in my class did such a great job of representing themselves, not really, that is all I learned about so far; French. I could really go on here and discriminate because their general demeanor towards the class and people around them was pathetic. It seems strange but it really pissed me off. What is their deal? They act like the people in Flanders owe them something. I was so irate, really, the feeling was, well, weird. I'm American. I shouldn't even care what how they acted or what they thought or this or that. If I knew a few more words in Felmish though I might have had a go at telling them to move back to wherever they came from. Part of me was quite saddened. The other part of me confused. I don't feel like I fit in anywhere in that classroom.

Comments