9 days left and a few questions answered

I went all the back to June 29th. It was a Monday. I asked some questions that I thought I might come back to and try and answer. So here goes, a "Q&A" (or I suppose that is "V&A" in Dutch) format:

Q:I was just wondering what I am going to miss most. It never hits me until I'm gone. I'm asking myself a few questions like, what will it be like?

A: Well first I think the question is a bit vague but in terms of racing it is the most intense and insane racing I've every done. A controlled blur of speed and nonsense. Actually by the end of the season it was all starting to make sense. Now the question is how will racing in the U.S. be?

Q: What should I do in London for 7 hours?
A: Well that was even up to me, I ran from toilet to toilet with diarrhea. Next question please!

Q: What about living in Belgium?
A: It is just like living in the States minus the living in the States part. I don't really know what it is like to live in Belgium. I don't work here, I don't own a home, I don't rent an apartment, I don't own a car, I don't speak Dutch and I think all of those things add up to actually living somewhere. I still consider myself a bit of a tourist I suppose.

Q: How will I like it after a week?
A: like home but different. I can't really describe the feeling. Strange but comfortable, uneasy but relaxing. I think there was still a lot of newness going on and general feeling of nervousness passing through my veins.

Q: How will it feel after a month?
A:
Much more like home then I might have imagined. I think I have a good vibe with Flanders or at least the region I live in. Everything has been fantastic.

Q: Just how much out of my comfort zone can I be pushed before I want to revert to the old and comfortable?
A: I think after a two months I had some moments where I just wanted to watch something in English or read something in English. I wanted my old training roads but otherwise it wasn't really that bad. I think my biggest frustration was not learning the language quicker. As I am currently learning Flanders is becoming this whole new world to me. I finally understand little things that used to go in one ear and out the other.

Q: Are tan lines cool in Belgium?
A: nope

Q: How many races am I going to win?
A: none

Q: What is the first thing I'll forget at home that has to be shipped to me?
A: surprisingly nothing!

Q: How long until until my English regresses and its easier to speak Flemish?
A: A very, very, very long time! It is not called my mother tongue for nothing!

Q: What will be my favorite food?
A: frietjes! Actually there are a few other dishes that I really enjoy. Well maybe not even dishes just food. Maatjes, rabbit, horse, mussels, strawberries in Belgium are the best in the world, vol-au-vent, and speculoos.

Q: My least favorite?
A: I don't know yet :)

Q: Am I at risk for becoming a beer connoisseur and giving up on athletic endeavors?

A: YES

Comments