heir en daar en dit en dat

Here and there and this and that.

I love Belgium. In the states we sometimes have food tastings inside the supermarket. We get to try some cheese at Whole Foods, sample the chips at Sam's Club, and every once in awhile we can try some wine. In the supermarket here in Beglium I was able to sample Chimay! The Red, the Blue, and the Triple. I think I had a small buzz on by the time I left.





























I took a quick trip to Antwerpen for breakfast. Yes, I took an hour train ride to go and have breakfast. I whole basket full of fresh breads and a a nice variety of spreads on the table was the perfect way to start the day. Actually what is more enjoyable is the way in which you eat.











There are individual tables but upon walking into the restaurant you first notice these grand wooden tables. The kind of table that you could almost picture in the cafeteria in a harry potter film. Weather and worn like a comfortable pair of leather shoes. They just feel right. Naturally the wonderful spreads are also attraction for me. I can't really say why I enjoy this simple, practical, and easy going breakfast place. I have some sort of memory here that I can't place. Somewhere between taking my first real breath in Antwerp and at the final closing hours we spend at the Velvett Lounge sits an emotional attachment to a city I barley know. Perhaps a bit like riding your favourite training route, there are places along the way that just feel right. Watching your favorite movie and having the same anticipation you did the first time you saw it. I think like that is a bit what of what I was trying to recreate. A moment in time when I was first discovering Belgium, and more locally, Antwerp.





















Antwerp Central Station.



































A quick video from a U23 race in, uummm, I forget where. I even met some kids from the USA after the race and without saying too much negative they came of as being a bit arrogant. Moving right along...

Tomorrow is my first exam in Dutch class. I think it will go well. I have no problem saying my name and where I live. It is just when I want to explain what I would like to do or what I'm thinking or where I've been or how to get somewhere or the difference between two things or yea everything else.

Comments

  1. Ah, my city - now I'm homesick...

    Veel geluk met je examen!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment