I miss school!

Do I ever! I must say it is a blast to be in classroom and learning Dutch. I think it is nice to be in a room filled with people of similar capacity. Although today we had to point on a map where we were from, and no lie, I wish I was making this up, someone from Italy couldn't find the country on the map. Moving right along....

So how does one learn Dutch without any previous knowledge? I would imagine the learning is very similar to the learning methods of kids. Start with small and basic items and progress from there. Sure I can all say things like "ik ga naar de bord" (I go to the board) or "ik sta op" (I stand up) but they are starters to a more progressive language base. I'm trying to think of how I can create the feeling of being in the class. So maybe a little bit of dialogue will help create the picture? Lets try :)

teacher: Goedemorgen allamaal!
class: goedemorgen
teacher: Joe hoe gaat het?
joe: goed en met jou?
teacher: ook goed. Wie is dit?
joe: dit is het bord.
teacher: ya and wie is dit?
joe: dit is de tafel.
teacher: goed. Goedemorgen Jill.
Jill: goedemorgen
teacher: hoe gaat het?
Jill: goed en met jou?
teacher: slecht! (bad...laughing!)

And so on. Here is the vocabulary from yesterday;

de stoel/the chair or stool
het kaartje/the card
de tafel/the tabel
de bord/the board
de muur/the wall
de dewr/the door
het venster/the window
het krytje/the chalk
de pen/this is a tough one!

verbs:
luister/listen
schrif/write
spreek/speak

And that is the is it! Well there is some more but simple is good. Still down and out a bit with a head cold. This pretty much means no training or very little but I've opted for the option with the very least to do. I want to be 100% for my last two weeks here so recover is goal number one. The thought of even packing my bike up has crossed my mind. I can't help but think of the progress I've made and also how much more room there is for me to grow. As a cyclist especially. There has got to be more speed in these legs somewhere!

Comments