In search of something else

Smoutebollen. Indeed, the name of this tasty menu item rolled off the tip of tongue this evening while discussing what we should have for dinner. Not exactly the answer someone might expect from an Elite level cyclist. I'm not exactly that good so why pressure myself into regretting one of Belgium's many treats. Today also marked the first day of Jaarmarkt in Ninove so I couldn't think of a better time to hit up downtown Ninove. I would assimilate the journey to that of visiting a small strip mall with a few alley streets. Perhaps that doesn't paint the most beautiful picture and I'm a little lost for the optimal combination of words. Since I'm writing this though I suppose to this puts me in a position to articulate my thoughts with more accuracy. Words are not always the easiest way to describe life.

On a side note: I'm listening to the this radio show called Mish Mash. The host usually calls around to various people playing little phone games or pranks. Well, the host just called someone and told them there was the Mexican Flu on their street. He then asked the lady to perform a quick medical test over phone. Which, she willingly complied to, no problem! He had the lady breath as hard as she could into the phone a few times, then he had her stick out tongue and make an "ahhhhhhh" sound a few times. He proclaimed her as being ok and said thanks! The things they get away with on the radio here! What is even more crazy (at least to Americans) is walking to into a kids store, where might I mention I saw a huge display of lego's! As a kid (so nothings changed!) I was in love with Legos. I would spend days setting up small towns and having all kinds of various village scenarios that required the assistance of the police, the fire department, the road work crew, or something imported with a lego cargo ship into the harbour, onto a truck, then to its final destination. Of course it could come in by plane as well into the local airport but...Ok, I think that paints the picture a bit. I had (well still do) a ton of Legos. Back to the original point, in the kids store there was a song playing that used the "F bomb" every couple of lines. Not exactly something one might expect to hear in a kids store. Then again I feel kids here are less protected from "life" then our American counterparts. Perhaps a discussion best saved for another post in the way, way, way future.

We never did to eat smoutebollen. There is a repetitive theme the last two days that I'm not liking! Of course with Dutch class my life has turned into a big game of repeat, repeat, repeat. I'm attempting to replace years of automatic language training with something new. Well it is pretty late here, so late in fact, Happy Sunday!

Slaapwel :)

Comments