the home is where the heart is

Good morning or good afternoon depending upon where you are. My friends in Belgium are almost finished there day meanwhile I'm just starting mine. I feel like I've been left behind, as if I've missed six hours of the day already. This is what my bike looked like before I left. I'm going to re-open the box in an hour and I hope it still looks the same!




I think this will be my last plane meal for awhile and the good news is no diarrhea today (unlike my first plane ride to Belgium)! I'm glad I packed sandwiches, ate the salad and drank the wine. I passed on the rest, received some very weird looks, and felt much better.






The view from my back porch. I haven't seen this view in a long time! I hope my legs don't mind a little bit of climbing. The weather here today is spectacular, I can't wait to go ride for a few hours.







A quick photo of the goodies that made it back to the states. Some beer, speculoos, waffles, chocolate, and a few koekboeken. I'm trying to think of my trip as if I was the first person to walk on the moon. I put together this absolute journey to one destination, explored, took a few samples, and then had to return to earth. The moon is not impossible to get to but it has a few restrictions. I need to figure out the visa issues, the language will always be difficult, and getting there can feel like light years away. I was in a difficult spot when I left Belgium. Just starting to get comfortable with living and breathing Flanders. I was starting to string together a sentence or two and each day another word or two started to make a lot more sense. There was a little glass ceiling that was slowing starting to show signs of cracking. I wonder what it will be like to study Dutch in America. There are little moments in Belgium that will never translate to English as should be with any experience abroad. I could spend days comparing and contrasting the two places but to do so would be a waste of time. I did not go to Belgium to study it's culture. Sure, I was student everyday to its people, food, and life, and I was open to every experience. For me I tried to give as much positive energy as possible. Knowing that you have to give a little to get a little. It's a bit too soon for me to say how this trip has changed me other than a two and a half more kilograms. Should be easy to stay away from the freitkot in America, wij wonen zonder hen! As for where my heart is that is a long story. It was in my stomach when I first flew from American to Beglium. It was in my throat during the races and again in my stomach when I left Belgium.

Jullie hebben een grote hart en moeten jullie een glas wijn/bier/champagne voor julliezelfs drinken, dank u voor alles!

Comments